Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fencing

After church today OMSI and I went to watch my sister compete in a fencing tournament in Seattle. All of my puppies have gone to the fencing club at least a couple of times while I have them, either when I got to visit or with Hannah. This was the first time that I've had a chance to take OMSI there. When we first walked in the mixed (men & women) foil competition was going on which is a popular event so almost all the strips were being used and there was a lot of noise and commotion (the clash of metal, feet stomping and sliding on the floor, an occasional shout). The walkway goes down the center of the building and I stopped to talk to Hannah, so there was fencers on both sides. OMSI was nervous at first and kept spinning around to look whenever there was a burst of activity. But, after sitting and watching for a few minutes, he wasn't so reactive to the sounds. After being there for 3 hours, he barely noticed. By the end, the action died down as the epee competition started (which is smaller). I think he decided that he likes fencing since there are LOTS of people who came up and asked to pet him. Even if I was watching and didn't realize that someone had started petting him, he was very good about remaining calm and placing himself in a sit if he wasn't already in that position. He also got to meet people in fencing masks and still when right up to them to say hi when they asked to pet him. It was a great experience for him and I think he did really well!!

No comments: